Friday, August 20

A true martyr

I don't know why I'm blogging, perhaps because I can't think what else to do. I'm sitting numb at my computer having emailed and called and recalled and rerecalled everyone I can think of in Iraq. I heard a few hours ago that one of my closest friends in Iraq has just been killed returning from Najaf with a Red Cross convoy which he had arranged to provide desperately needed medical supplies.

Ghareeb is (I can't yet face saying "was") one of the most selfless people I have ever met. For the past 18 months he has been travelling up and down the country helping anyone and everyone, from paying for an injured girl to be airlifted abroad to recieve a prosthetic limb to helping secure funding for an independent newspaper, to chaperoning around a naive British visitor (me).

Aparently a roadside bomb damaged his car and then gunmen shot him and carried away our mutual friend and blogger Enzo Balduni. I think it must have been gangsters, since none of the genuine Resistance would have attacked a Red Cross convoy or killed Gharib who was well known across Iraq. Please could anyone reading this blog pray for Enzo's safety, that he may be released unharmed soon, and also for Ghareebs friends and family who will all be heartbroken.

A photo of Ghareeb taken by Enzo a few days ago.


5 comments:

Anonymous said...

Justin, how have you obtained these informations about Ghareeb and Enzo?
Here in Italy we are very frightened and worried about them, we are looking forward for some confirmed information.
Do you really think that your sources are affordable when they told you this story?
Please, contact Pino Scaccia pinoscaccia@gmail.com
, he's there in Iraq and I think any information provided by you could be precious to him.
Also drop some words on Enzo's blog last post comments: Daniela and Franco are trying to talk with you.

Thanks.

Paolo
www.warnews.it

Anonymous said...

I'm a frequenter of Enzo Baldoni's blog too, and I'm really worried for him. Please, can you contact http://www.pinoscaccia.rai.it/torre/ and give him (and us) all the informations you have about what you've been told about this (I keep hoping presumed)ambush in Najaf?
Thank you for sharing our preoccupation.

Anonymous said...

yes, please, Justin: get in touch with me:
daniela AT danielaceglie.com

daniela, webmaster of Bloghdad

Anonymous said...

Justin PLEASE, get in touch with me asap. I really need to talk to you but can't call you on phone.
So PLEASE, this is my mailaddress: daniela AT danielaceglie.com, remove spaces from address.

Looking forward to hearing from you REAL SOON,
thank you

daniela
webmaster of http://bloghdad.splinder.com/

Anonymous said...

We're still waiting, on Enzo and Pino's blogs, for your news. Please contact Pino, Daniela, but let us know something. We can pray, not only for Ghareeb family but for Enzo's one too.

Valeria
blacklilith.splinder.com