Wednesday, August 25

Ewa expelled from Israel

Today Tel Aviv District Court judge Drora Pilpel has issued an expulsion order for my friend Ewa Jasiewicz. The court granted a 48-hour injunction on the expulsion, allowing her lawyer to appeal the expulsion to the Supreme Court. The judge said that although Ewa doesn't pose a direct threat to Israeli security, Palestinians could manipulate her "naivety" !!!! Ewa is one of the most inteligent, knowledgable and canny journalists I know, so the charge of "naivety" is ridiculous and offensive. Ewa arrived at Ben Gurion Airport on 11th August (we must have crossed somewhere over the Meditaranian as I was flying back from Iraq) in order to report on Israeli and Palastinian perspectives on the Wall, and was immediately detaineed. I've been trying to call her for days at the detention centre, but they won't let me speak to her. In response to the courts charges, Ewa stated: "I know myself. My agenda is no secret. I am against racism and fascism and in favor of peace."

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

And as all the good people of this world seem to be prime for preemptive imprisonment, kidnapping, bombing, or "terror attacks", a declared anti-fascist, anti-racist, peace-labouring intelligent woman seems to be fit one place only: jail.

I very much hope our world will not close its senses to this upside-down, anti-logical, anti-human behavior by well known international criminals with a "democracy" label stuck on.