Monday, August 16

Najaf nonviolence

As things get hotter and hotter in Najaf I am finding it very difficult to settle back down to my day job in Britain, ever 5 minutes i find myself contemplating flying back to Iraq. I've just heard some shocking news from a friend out there that the Americans are taking hostage the families of Al-Mahdi army fighters in order to force them to submit - this is a shocking development which I doubt will be reported in any the mainstream media, particularly as journalists have been expelled from Najaf by the Interim Iraqi government. Apparently one of the women taken hostage is pregnant and due to deliver in the next week.

One positive thing are the signs of nonviolent resistance, with thousands of civilians forming a human shield around the imam Ali Mosque. I'm excited to see this happening, and I pray that it will be successful in deterring the Americans from launching further assaults and will encourage Iraqis across the country to start practicing nonviolent resistance in the model of Martin Luther King and Badshah Khan (the incredible, though little known, muslim counterpart to Ghandi in the Indian independence struggle).

separately my friend Ewa Jasiewicz has been arrested at Ben Gurion Airport, Tel Aviv, entering Palastine/Israel. The Israelis are attempting to deport her, as part of their policy of censoring news about human rights abuses and opposition to the occupation. (see Reuters, Jerusalem Post).

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,
I'm Daniela, the webmaster of http://bloghdad.splinder.com/ (Enzo Baldoni's blog).
As you might know, Enzo is at this moment reported as "missing" in the surroundings of Nadjaf.
This is because no-one could manage to get in touch with him in the latest 24 hours.
The situation is still on a low alarm level, because Enzo is very likely to be in some place where he just can't be reached by telephone, and we're sure he'll be showing up soon.

However, I'm writing this to you because of a comment you left today in Bloghdad, about Ghareeb.
Could you please get in touch with me privately? my e-mail is daniela AT danielaceglie DOT com (please remove spaces from address)
Thank you,
daniela