Wednesday, December 3

In Prague

Suddenly It seems I'm becoming a bit of a jet setter. I'm currently in Prague for a Eurodad conference of about 100 debt and development campaigning groups, mainly from Europe but also Zambia, Indonesia and South Africa. I've been amazed by the amount of interest in Jubilee Iraq, and am really excited by the number of groups across Europe who are keen to start campaigning on Iraq (or who have already begun without our knowledge!).

I saw the World AIDS Day concert in Cape Town on Czech TV on Monday night, great stuff. The crowd was a bit confused about when to cheer. When Nelson Mandela was talking, and saying things like "when I was in jail for 18 years the Apertheid regime wanted to reduce me to a number (46664), now millions of individuals dying from AIDS are also being reduced to mere numbers." Importan and stirring stuff coming from the living legend, but not really appropriate for cheering... but crowds at concerts are used to cheering. Anyhow you can donate the AIDS program of the Nelson Mandela Foundation at www.46664.com.

No comments: