Tuesday, June 6

Our wedding in the Globe and Mail...

This is hilarious article about"ALT WEDDING REGISTRIES" by Karen Von Hann in Canadian Globe & Mail (3 June 2006) mentioning our wedding registry, which the journalist stumbled acro

"What to get the couple who have everything? How about livestock? When Jenny, 24, and Justin, 27, tie the knot next week, the two Christian peacemakers, who are based in Amman, have asked their wedding guests to chip in for sheep and goats for needy Arab families. "Justin and I don't feel the need to develop an extensive dining collection," explains Elliott, who believes that "having a lot of things just weighs you down." She adds: "We want our wedding to reflect our values and set the tone for our lives, so this made sense." As it happens, Jenny and Justin may be trendsetters, yet they are also an altruistic exception. Most couples, finding themselves with little need for the traditional essentials of setting up house, are finding novel ways to romance what they see essentially as an opportunity." [continued...]

So I turned 28 this morning - yikes! I'm leaving the Middle East in a few days to head to St.Louis Missouri for the wedding (on 17 June) then honeymooning in the Caribbean then settling in London and franctically searching for jobs for Jenny and myself. It feels strange and in a way disloyal to be moving on with my life when so many friends are trapped in Iraq with little hope. Still my Iraqi friends have given me their blessing, and while I probably won't be in the country for a while I'll try to stay involved. CPT-UK held a retreat this weekend, reported here, sadly as I'm not in country yet I couldn't attend.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin. Happy birthday for today: we 28-ers salute your entrance to the club! The article is a hoot, you are right. Did Jenny 'sell it in' or was she just contacted out of the blue? I'd never come across bigday or any of the other alternative registries either, until receiving your invite. Thought it was a fantastic idea. A few of my friends, and my brother, have included a small list of additional 'fun' items along with the John Lewis list; and/or suggested donating to their favourite charity. But never the full-on honeymoon itinerary thing. Sure beats the more prosaic (and not very British) direct asking for money instead of gifts. Plus much more meaningful way of giving to charity too, as is mentioned.

Great (from my point of view) to hear you are going to be settling in London for a while. Looking forward to 8 July. Malcolm.

Anonymous said...

Well, that's one way to announce that you're getting married. Congratulations!