Sunday, June 19

Addicted to Iraq

Apologies to friends/readers for not posting for a while. I've had a hectic month, a week in Basra for a trade union conference against privatisation, a week back in Palestine supporting people being terrorised by settlers and the apartheid wall, a few days back in the UK (sadly for a funeral)... and now, of course, I'm on my way back to Iraq!

I'm afraid I'm hooked on this bleeding, welcoming, disastrous, cultured, impoverished, wealthy, hopeless, hopeful country. I'm sure my family would prefer it if I took up a safer and more socially acceptable addiction like crack cocaine, but I'm afraid I'm already suffering from withdrawal having been away for only 3 weeks.

I can't say too much about what I'm doing this time, as I need to keep a low profile and don't want to endanger the people I'm working with. But I'd appreciate all your prayers that I can find ways to usefully support and empower Iraqis doing positive things and contribute in small ways to promoting genuine self-determination, ending the occupation and restoring a healthy economy.

I helped organised a 2 week Fast for Economic Justice in Iraq, which is happening right now in Geneva in the run up to the final meeting of the UNCC, the body which awards war reparations against Iraq. It was opened on Thursday by Hans von Sponek, the courageous former UN Humanitarian Coordinator who resigned in 2000 to protest the sanctions regime.

No comments: