Monday, May 16

Report on HIV/AIDS in Central Africa + random updates

The guidebook for donors that I wrote last year, on HIV/AIDS in Burundi, Democratic Republic of Congo and Rwanda, has been published by New Philanthropy Capital. Please pray that it can result in many new grants to the excellent organisations profiled in it who are tackling HIV/AIDS in a really dire situation of conflict and poverty. UNAIDS says the infection rate in the Middle East and North Africa has risen to 1/2 million, I hope governments here get their act in order quickly and don't ignore it out of embarrassments as was done for far to long in Sub-Saharan Africa.

Other recent bits and pieces:
* I wrote a little bit about the brave Iraqis who refused to fight in Saddam's wars (and had their ears cut off) as part of the defence for the US refusniks Pablo Paredes and Kevin Benderman. You can sign the petition for Pablo.
* Jubilee Iraq, together with Voices in the Wilderness and others, is planning a 2 week fast for economic justice 15-30 June in Geneva in the run up to the final meeting of the UN Compensation Commission, awarding reparations against Iraq, on 28-30 June. First announcement of this in Gulf News.
* For friends reading this blog you might be surprised to hear that amid all the termoil of the last few weeks I've managed to fall in love. Email for more details as I'm not going to blog about my new habibti (arabic for girlfriend) for the time being.
* See my friend Jonty's report of the Protect Sudan demonstration in London, I was shocked by the casualty figure he quotes - 400,000 - if the reality is even half of this the genocide is worst than I'd been led to believe from the media.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The irony here is that if Justin had been kidnapped & killed, Dan would be telling everyone that Justin deserved it.

Anonymous said...

Justin has been working tirelesly as a commited christian in a christian manner in order to bring aid and peace to his fellow man. He HAS been in Iraq, not just sitting on the side lines as others may suggest and in all probability will be there again. We pray for Justin that he escapes all harms that others may wish him and that he will return hometo his family having succeded in his quest for more understanding between peoples.

Anonymous said...

All I can say in reply to Dan's ignorant and offensive comment is that my brother has not been 'hiding on the sidelines at his mother's house'. He has remained in the Middle East, dividing his time between Jordan and Palestine, so as to be able to continue his work until such a time as he can safely return. Getting kidnapped and killed would benefit no-one, especially not the Iraqis would my brother is spending all efforts trying to help. So whoever you are, Dan, get your facts straight before you post such comments. I think it would be very hard to give more of yourself to others than Justin has, and although I'd never be prepared to put myself at such risk, I'm just very glad there are people other like him who do.