Wednesday, April 20

Goodbye Iraq

This is the most painful thing I've ever done and it breaks my heart in pieces, but I have left Iraq.

It turns out that my name has appeared on a Black List of priority kidnap targets. I'm not an important person, but with the British elections coming up I am the only Briton left who does not live behind concrete barriers and armed guards, and so am easy target. The fact that I stongly opposed the invasion of Iraq and am urging people to vote out the Blair government does not matter to the people who want to kidnap me.

I am ready to risk my life to help the Iraqi people, but having such an acute and imminent threat endangers all my colleagues and friends. I also know that if I was taken people would risk their lives and perhaps use violence to secure my release, no matter how strongly I have insisted that I would not want this to happen. So, after agnoising prayer, I decided the right thing to do was to leave Iraq.

This feels like a betrayal coming only a few days after the murder of my friend Marla. I had intended to help, alongside her friends in America, to pick up the pieces and continue her work for the innocent victims of this conflict.

This feels like a betrayal because I know many Iraqis who have also received death threats, and yet they do not have the option of leaving.

This feels like a betrayal because I have made commitments to help people here. Commitments to friends in Kerbala to support their pioneering work developing a Muslim Peacemaker Team; commitments to friends in Fallujah to clear rubble, mix cement and join them in rebuilding their homes, and to draw international attention to the continuing injustices there; commitments to friends in Baghdad to work for the release of family members detained unjustly in Abu Ghraib and Bucca.

While I am away from home (I feel Iraq is my primary home now, Briton was just where I was born) I will continue to devote my time, energy and prayers to Iraq until it is free from Occupation, free from terrorism, free from poverty and filled with peace & justice. I have seen the true character of the Iraqi people and have faith that in the long term their good nature will prevail over those who choose the path of violence.

10 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dude, this is nothing other than complete shit. No offense, but I also wish that you weren't coming back. It seems like you've found out what you were made for out there. Let me know when you get back so we can meet up.

God bless, Tom

Zinnia Cyclamen said...

It takes a brave man to make a difficult decision. I understand that this one was really painful for you - yet I think you were right to recognise that the risk was not only to yourself; that your colleagues and friends were also endangered; and so, by taking the risk (and therefore, sadly, yourself) out of the picture for the time being, you enable them to continue doing the work that is so important to you. And you can continue, too; there are many ways that you can fulfil your commitments to your Iraqi friends from Britain until it is safe enough for you to return to Iraq. I'm sure they would much rather you kept yourself alive and worked from afar than that you took the alternative route. Take care.

Anonymous said...

Glad you decided to leave. USA won't pay your ransom anyway.

Sounds like things are getting worse all over. Sounds like our administration lost control but continue to risk our troops.

What are the Iraqis to do??? Innocent people caught in a stupid war. Bush wants to fight the war in Iraq but won't send more troops
to protect the troops there. If all our top brave people go, who will protect us!!! Bush..he'll be the first one protected, along with the vp....who started this in the first place.....wake up america......impeachment (what is that????)

We want the Irate Iraqis to vote but we can't trust our own voting system.

American started on the basis of no taxes....look at us now!!!!!

IT IS TIME FOR ANOTHER TEA PARTY!!!
OR CAN I HAVE A TAX REFUND TO FEED THE POOR IN AFRICA INSTEAD!!!

Can I get my tax dollars back so I can spend it myself, without killing people!!!

Anonymous said...

Hi Justin,

I know it must be painful to leave all those who you care about in Iraq behind. But take satisfaction for what you've done -- you and Marla have done the work many of us would like to, but haven't -- and now you can do even more important work: speak out, as someone who has been there, to groups in Britain and the USA about what is REALLY happening in Iraq. Tell the things that our media won't let us see ... and open people's eyes to the truth. God Bless You!

Anonymous said...

Thank you for your presence, voice, and commitment.
As difficult as this is - it seems you realize that the work is not ending - just changing form. Share, speak, tell your stories and the tories of those who have no voice.
Here in Washington State/USA - thank you

Anonymous said...

You are leaving for now, wisely, but you may have a chance to return. Thank you for your work, and I agree with the blogger who said: talk. Talk loud and often about what you have seen. Best, Masha Hamilton

Anonymous said...

Justin,

My prayers have never gone out as strongly for you. My heart aches that you are being exiled from the land you love. You will return soon, I know, because although you are leaving the country, it's obvious that you stashed your heart in Iraq. God be with you and I really hope that we can meet up again soon.

Peace,

Dan Rohan

Anonymous said...

At halfway across the globe on a small island of Taiwan, I feel sorry. Sorry that, regardless of the reasons, the result would end up like this. Not that there is a point saying that here, but, just to let you know, there is one more person that is caring.

Anonymous said...

dear Justin,
please write something so that we know you are ok. i'm praying for you and iraq.
love Tess

Zo said...

Your courage leaves me in awe, as does your heart.

More prayers,
Zo