Thursday, March 10

Arrived in Baghdad

The plane made its infamous corkscrew descent to Baghdad, spiralling to deter heat-seeking missiles, but by now this maneuvour was so routine for that most of the passangers that they were sleeping through it rather than clinging onto their seats for dear life.

I was preparing my suncream for the blazing Baghdad sun I'm familiar with, but actually it's gloomy and pouring with rain here - feels like I'm back in Blighty. One Iraqi friend asked me jokingly "are you ready for some surfing?" as we drove through two foot of water on the way to lunch with his family in Mansour district.

Calls are welcome here (my timezone is GMT +3hrs) on +964 17197163 (landline). I'm also sharing two mobiles with my team here: +964 7901339537, +964 7901379408. There are calling cards/accounts/numbers available in many places to call iraq cheaply (e.g. from USA or from UK you can dial 0911 552 0222 from any BT phone and calls are 15p a minute, or shop around for more options here).

2 comments:

Niki said...

hey justin- it was great to see u the other night. glad u made it safe. please write as often as u can on the blog so that we know how u r. bye--niki

pipistro said...

Dear Justin, have you got any news about Ghareeb's dead body? As far as I Know his family was still looking for it and they have nowhere to pray upon. ^^v^^