Wednesday, November 12

Oppression in Egypt

I went to a meeting last night about the 2nd Cairo Conference, which will bring together Western and Arab peace campaigners next month. I was incredible impressed with the Egyptian guy who was speaking (though can't recall his name I'm afriad). I hadn't realised quite how repressive Egypt is. Apparently it's a crime for 5 or more people to stand together in the street for any reason! Against this context it's amazing that thousands openly gathered in Tahrir Square on 20th March , for the first time since 1972, to do what they called "a Hyde Park"! Apparently there are hundreds in jail and being tortured as a result of these protests. Apparently when an Egyptian novelist was recently awarded an important prize (similar to the Booker Prize I think), he refused to accept it from the Minister of Culture, instead speaking out about the human rights abuse. I'm hoping to go to Cairo for the conference, and look forward to meeting some of these brave Egyptians activists.

No comments: