Sunday, June 1

Shania Twain & Nonviolent Direct Action

So here's a bit of silliness, taking a dig at the activist community as we can take ourselves too serious. This is spoof song I wrote in 2000 based on American country singer Shania Twain's song "That Don't Impress Me Much." If anyone out there is extremely bored and would like to make a recording of this spoof, then please go ahead - and send me an MP3 of it!

I've known some guys who were pretty keen on me, But you seems to prefer to go hugging trees. I can't send you mail because you live in a squat, And when we go to Mac-D's you tend to shout a lot.

Bridge: Oh-oo-oh, you think you're special. Oh-oo-oh, you think you're something else.

Okay, so you're an ecowarrior. That don't impress me much. So you've got green hair but have you got the touch? Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night. That don't impress me much.

I like the kind of guy who hold's his own in a fight, But you just hand out flowers and hold vigils at night. You invited me to a fair, and we ended up in jail, And to cap it all off you refused your bail.
(Bridge)

Okay, so you're a peace activist. That don't impress me much. So you do NVDA but have you got the touch? Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night. That don't impress me much.

Now I expect guys to attend to my views, But you're far to busy analysing slow news. I like my guys to quietly do what they're bidden, But you question what agendas I've got hidden.
(Bridge)

Okay, so you're John Pilger. That don't impress me much. So you've got a radical pen but have you got the touch? Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night. That don't impress me much.

Some guys I knew couldn't boil an egg, But rabbit food! - I'd rather go out and beg. I like the feel of fur and smell of leather shoes, But whenever I wear them it blows your fuse.
(Bridge)

Okay, so you're a vegetarian. That don't impress me much. So you're unlikely to bite but have you got the touch? Don't get me wrong, yeah I think you're alright, But that won't keep me warm in the middle of the night. That don't impress me much.

Okay, so what do you think you're ethical or something... Whatever. That don't impress me.

No comments: